I’m full of confessions, but here are just a few…
- On Sunday I stood in front of the strawberries in the produce department for a good 4 minutes. First I picked up the organic ones ($3.99 for 1lb), then I put them back and picked up the conventional ones ($3.99 for 2lbs), then I walked away…only to turn around swap them out for the organic ones. In the end this was a good choice, aside of being #3 on the dirty dozen, I personally think the organic ones taste so much better and 1lb is enough for me.
- If I don’t work out first thing in the morning, it is a real struggle for me to do it at night. I’d much rather sit on the couch and watch TV or lay in bed and read a book. I’m fine once I get started, but sometimes it seems impossible.
- I have a love/hate relationship with pumpkin. I like pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins, I like pumpkin granola and pumpkin yogurt. I don’t like pumpkin coffee, but sometimes I get a pumpkin latte craving (1 pump of pumpkin only!). I also don’t like pumpkin pie or anything that combines pumpkin and large amounts of cinnamon.
- I didn’t try spinach, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, black beans (my favorite), feta, blue cheese or hummus until after I was 21!
For breakfast, I made a chocolate pumpkin smoothie. I was inspired by all of the pumpkin smoothie recipes I’ve seen popping up lately. I kind of made it up as I went along.
- 1/2 cup frozen pumpkin (I froze it in an ice cube tray)
- 1T cocoa powder
- 3 oz vanilla soymilk
- 3 oz water
- 4oz plain yogurt
- 1t vanilla
- 1t cinnamon
For lunch, I packed a spinach salad with pecans, crasins, and creamy balsamic vinaigrette with a homemade pretzel roll on the side.
Whoever came up with combining pecans and cranberries was definitely on to something. I’m trying to think up other places I can use this combo…cookies, yogurt, rice pilaf, chicken?
My lunch was lacking protein, but I had a snack to tide me over to the end of the workday. Plain yogurt with some crunchy pomegranate arils. Not very photogenic, but it got the job done 🙂
I got home a bit late and needed another snack while I procrastinated making dinner. Some nights, cooking just seems like such a hassle, and a messy one at that! This is the kettle corn I got over the weekend, I had a small bowl yesterday after work as well and there is still a ton left. I guess I need a movie to watch or something so I can finish it off.
After staring at a fully stocked freezer, fridge and pantry for way too long, I finally came up with something to make for dinner. Burrito bowls! I love how easy these are to throw together.
- Cilantro lime brown rice (brown rice with cilantro and lime juice stirred in)
- Ground turkey seasoned with onions, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and oregano
- Cooked veggies – peppers, onions, and zucchini
- Homemade guacamole (I halved this recipe and added some chopped tomato)
- Hot salsa
- 1 slice of fresh mozzarella
Sometimes I make these with leftover chicken, black beans, or frozen veggies. They come together really quickly if you happen to have leftover rice.
After dinner, I changed into my workout clothes and took a spin on the elliptical machine while watching Community, Modern Family, and The Middle. I love Sue Heck (The Middle), I can totally relate to her…in fact, I think I was Sue Heck until I hit middle school. I thought I was so cool with my matchy sweat suits and colored jeans. Who am I kidding, I haven’t changed that much…
I whipped up a smoothie for dessert. Apparently I’m feeling snacky today.
Squirt of dark chocolate syrup
3 frozen strawberries
Splash of soymilk
Spoonful of plain yogurt
5 raw almonds
1/2 T ground flax
Topped with unsweetened coconut
This is what I was working on last night. I needed a pop of fall color in the kitchen and it is hard to keep flowers around with a curious cat. He seems to be having a good time playing with the leaves.
If any crafty people have advice for me, I’m listening!