Have you ever tried to peel and cut apart a pomegranate? If you use a cutting board, it can be a very messy experience! This is the method I use to get the job done quickly and without a mess.
First, gather your equipment.
- Large bowl of water
- Mesh strainer (optional)
- Wash your pomegranate.
- Gently cut around the pomegranate to score the skin, but don’t cut all the way through.
- Submerge the pomegranate in the water and use your hands to pull it apart.
- Gently break the fruit apart, freeing the pomegranate arils from the white flesh (someone, please tell me if there is a better word than flesh..)
- As the arils are freed, they will sink to the bottom. The skin and white flesh will float.
- When all of the arils have been removed, discard the skin and white flesh.
- Pour the bowl of water through a mesh strainer to drain the pomegranate arils.
- Use promptly, or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator
Do you like Pomegranate? Any tricks for picking out a ripe one?