Friday night, hubs made his “famous” meatball recipe with the help of our 4-year-old niece. He’s made them so many times now that he doesn’t use a recipe, but I had him write it down so I could share it!
Hubs’ Famous Meatballs
Serves 6-8, makes approximately 25 medium sized meatballs
These meatballs use simple ingredients and come together in no time. Whip up a batch to serve over spaghetti and use the leftovers to make meatball sandwiches during the week. Since they are made with lean ground beef and baked on a broiling pan, these are a bit healthier than your traditional meatball recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (we often use a combo of lean ground turkey and beef)
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- pinch of sea salt
- 1.5t black pepper
- 1t garlic powder
- 1t dried oregano
- 1t dried parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1T Worcestershire sauce
- 1T BBQ sauce (this is the secret ingredient)
- 2-4 cups of tomato sauce, jarred or homemade (we used sauce I made a few weeks ago and froze)
- Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Add ground beef (and turkey if using), beaten egg, milk, Worcestershire, and BBQ sauce to the breadcrumb mixture and combine.
- Separate the mixture equally using a cookie scoop and shape into meatballs.
- Place the meatballs onto a lightly greased broiling pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, flipping them once after 15 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, heat sauce in a large pan until it comes to a simmer.
- Add cooked meatballs to the sauce and continue to simmer on low for at least 15 minutes.
Serve over your favorite whole wheat pasta or in a sub roll.