Monster Mini 5K Dash – 2011 (PR)

Even with an October snowstorm, Sunday’s race went on!


Saturday night, things were not looking good.


The snow was sticking, wet, and very heavy – which made for great snowballs.

Earlier in the evening, I had some really great shrimp scampi with salad and an espresso martini at my Dad’s (with lots of water!) – which turned out to be the perfect prerace dinner. Then, I proceeded to stay up way too late. I was torn between worrying the race would be cancelled and worried I wouldn’t be able to get there due to the conditions.

I woke up no less than 4 times during the night, and of course I checked my email each time. At 5:30 am, I finally got some relief, when I saw an email in my inbox with the subject line, “Update Sunday: Monster Mini Dash is good to go!” Shortly after that, I heard the plow in our parking log. I was relieved and somehow, I went back to sleep for a couple of hours.

When it was finally time to get ready, I sprung into action. I felt kind of goofy spending a little time on my hair and makeup before a race – but since I was going for Tinkerbell, I figured it couldn’t hurt.


I know, I don’t exactly look like Tink – but that’s my best attempt. I figure the tutu will come in handy for the Disney Princess Half Marathon too 🙂

Before we left the house, I drank a bottle of water, but I was not hungry at all. I forced a granola bar down, especially since the start was after 11am and I know breakfast is important! I’m terrible at eating breakfast on the weekends.

We arrived downtown with plenty of time to spare. The roads were clear and everything was very well organized, I was pretty impressed. The convention center was open and there were a ton of people hanging out inside trying to stay warm since the “feel like” temperature was around 28 degrees. I chose to brave the cold and hang out outside, I’m hardcore like that – plus, I didn’t want to be freezing when it was time to start.

When there were ten minutes left to the start, I kissed the hubs’, who was bundled up in his winter coat, for good luck and lined up right between the 9:00/mi and 10:00/mi pace signs. Someone sang the National Anthem, then I heard the crack of the starting gun – and we were off. I was pumped! It was crowded for the first 5 minutes, but eventually the crowd thinned out a bit and I was able to get into a groove.

My strategy was to just keep going, reminding myself it that was going to be over in less than a half hour, and not to hold back too much – which is a mistake I tend to make. I kept picking someone in front of me to stick with for a bit and then I would try to pass them. It definitely kept things interesting! I’m always afraid to burn out before the end, but throughout this race I felt stronger then ever.


I definitely didn’t burn out! Once I realized there was only 1/4 of a mile left, I sprinted as fast as I could – and I could feel my wings flapping behind me 🙂 My official time was 28:56.1 (9:21/mi) which means I beat my old PR (30:30) by 1:34!!

Here are my splits, according to my Garmin Forerunner 305 (which was off a bit, since it showed my average pace as 9:09/mi).

  • Mile 1 – 9:23
  • Mile 2 – 9:28
  • Mile 3 – 8:57
  • Final  .18 – 7:13

I had such a great time. I tried my best, had fun dressing up, and I’m happy with my time. I can’t wait for my next (hilly) 5K, which is just over a month away. I’m going to keep up the speedwork and see what happens, I’m definitely feeling more confident about my ability to improve.

I have no idea how I managed to run in a short sleeved shirt. I didn’t feel cold at all, but after the race I could not stay warm! I was bundled up in my super thick fleece jacket for the rest of the day.

My appetite was still kind of off, but in the afternoon, Hubs took me out for the best Tuna sandwich I’ve ever had.


I don’t really like mayo, but this sandwich had the perfect tuna to mayo ratio, as well as tomato, cheddar, and hot peppers – which are three of my favorite sandwich toppings.

The rest of the day was spent doing laundry and hanging out on the couch – getting a PR really tired me out!

Do you race? What’s your strategy?

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Monster Mini 5K Dash – 2011 (PR)

  1. Pingback: Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell Run 5K – 2011 (PR) | Faking It and Making It

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s