Over the last couple weeks, I’ve felt like time has been moving way too fast. Wasn’t it just Thanksgiving? Where did all that time between then and now go, anyway?
I wish I could say this is the first time I’ve felt this way, but this isn’t really a new theme for me. I know I can’t slow life down, not much anyway, but I can try to be present in the moments a bit more. Easier said than done, but I’ve really been trying!
Over the weekend, we were in Newport for my work Christmas party (which was a blast!) and our room had a perfect view of the ocean. We caught the sunset at the last possible minute! And in the morning, I could hardly tell where the ocean ended and the sky began – it was just so blue and so beautiful. I forget how beautiful the beach is this time of year.
I’ve never been a big fan of the cold weather, but it is finally here and I’m going to try to embrace it. I picked up a hat to wear running. It looks super goofy on me, but it is warm and it has a pompom – that’s good enough for me.
I’m kind of new to cold weather running, but I think it is going to be ok. It isn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and it is so much better than the treadmill! The cold air is something to get used to, but after 15 minutes I hardly notice it. I know it will get colder, but at this point it is refreshing and peaceful.
Hot coffee and steel cut oats help too, and both are easy to prep ahead of time.
Prepping ahead of time is a big help, it just makes life easier. The only thing better than a prepped breakfast is coming home to a Crockpot dinner! I love walking in the door and knowing that dinner is ready. I see more Crockpot dinners in my future!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
This week’s Crockpot recipe was Chicken Tortilla Soup. It is really quick and easy to prepare and you can easily adapt it to fit your needs. I’ve made this several times over the last few months and it comes out great every time. My original inspiration came from this recipe.
- 1 frozen chicken breast (I use bone-in)
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of diced green chilies
- 1 28oz can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can of chicken broth
- 1 2/3 cup frozen corn (or other frozen veggies)
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups water
- Spray or rub your Crockpot with a bit of canola oil.
- Place the frozen chicken breast in the bottom of the Crockpot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the Crockpot and give it a quick stir, making sure the chicken stays completely covered.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- At the end of the day, remove the chicken breast and shred it using two forks. Remove the bones if using bone-in chicken breast.
- Stir the chicken back into your soup and adjust seasoning to taste if necessary.
Serve with tortilla strips, cheese, or lime wedges
This soup also makes a great lunch.
What’s your favorite Crockpot recipe?